- 5 TBSP hot water
- 4 TBSP boiled potatoes (or use boiled beets for red curry)
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 TBSP + 1 TSP of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBSP yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow or red onion, diced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme (3 inches) or 1 tsp of dried
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1-1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups beets, raw or boiled, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
Spiced Basmati Rice
Combine the carrots, onion and 4 tablespoons of water in a medium pot and bring the liquid to a simmer. Add a pat of butter. Add the thyme, cinnamon stick, rice and water, and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice has fully absorbed the water. Remove from heat and keep covered for 10 minutes to steam. Do not open the lid during this time!
Quick Pickled Beets
I used my own canned and pickled homemade beets and it was delicious. If you don’t have any of those you can use this easy recipe.
Mix the beets, lemon juice and salt together in a bowl. Let marinate for as long as possible. If it’s longer than 30 minutes, then place in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, rinse the beets to remove the lemon juice and salt.
To serve, pour the curry sauce over the rice and beets, garnish with cilantro. This needs a protein source to go with it, salmon pairs wonderfully with this recipe.
Also you could make it like a typical curry; chop and saute seasonal vegetables along with cubes of meat, fish, or vegetarian paneer or even good tofu (the best I can find is the tofu by Wildwood, it is sprouted). Serve the veggies/protein source on a bed of the rice, top with a generous portion of curry sauce, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Believe it or not … this is my daughter’s favorite recipe!
You can get quality spices here.